Destroyer (Dick Beyer)
|Wrestling Observer Hall Of Fame Member|
WRESTLING CAREER HIGHLIGHTS
- The Destroyer is a masked legend in Pro Wrestling and one of the best opponent that Mil Mascaras ever had in USA and Japan.
- Dick Beyer began his career unmasked and later donned two separate masks (Destroyer and Dr.X) and not one person had a clue, including fans, wrestlers and the Athletic commissions knew that Dr. X and The Destroyer were one in the same.
- Dick Beyer (wrestling as Dr.X) defeated Verne Gagne for the AWA World heavyweight title.
- On July 27, 1962 Destroyer defeated Freddie Blassie for the WWA World heavyweight title, over the next months, he defended his belt against Lou Thesz, Ricki Starr, Ray Stern, Haystack Calhoun, Johnny Walker, Curtis Iaukea, Cowboy Bob Ellis, Dick Hutton, Enrique Torres, Mr. Moto, Sandor Szabo, Don Leo Jonathan, Mil Mascaras & Pedro Morales.
- The Destroyer was the first North American to "get over" in Japan.
- The Destroyer against the famous "Victor the Bear", the Bear wins by DQ.
- The Destroyer was the top gaijin (foreign) wrestler until Stan Hansen really started taking off in the 80's.
- The Destroyer feuded with Rikidozan in the most significant series of matches in Japanese history.
- The Destroyer holds the distinction of holding the last singles victory over the Puroresu Legend Rikidozan.
- Dick Beyer paved the way for other American wrestlers to play their trade in Japan.
- In a mask vs mask match with Torbellino Blanco in Fort Worth, the Destroyer's mask was pulled off and he lost on a countout going back to the dressing room to get another mask. There was a towel handy so the Destroyer was not identified. Blanco lost his mask in a return 2 out of 3 falls match two weeks later. The Destroyer won the main event rematch which ended the feud.
- The Destroyer won 2 mask vs hair matches over Gorgeous George.
- As Dr.X lost mask to Paul Diamond (1970) and 2 times by Blackjack Lanza (1970)
- Many wrestlers (More of 20) have used the name "Destroyer" in USA, Puerto Rico, Guatemala and Mexico, one of them have a match with Lou Thesz On May 7, 1968 in Columbus, USA.
- The Destroyer last matches was in 1984 on Mid-South Wrestling.
Luchas de apuestas record
|Date||Apuesta||Winner(s)||Loser(s)||Arena and/or Place|
|62/11/07||hair||The Destroyer||Gorgeous George||Long Beach - California,USA|
|62/12/11||hair||The Destroyer||Gorgeous George||Long Beach - California,USA|
|65/11/05||mask (1)||Torbellino Blanco||The Destroyer||Houston, Texas, USA|
|65/11/10||mask||The Destroyer||Torbellino Blanco||San Antonio, Texas, USA|
|(1) The Destroyer's mask was pulled off and he lost on a countout going back to the dressing room to get another mask. There was a towel handy so the Destroyer was not identified. Two weeks later 2 out of 3 falls match Blanco lost his mask in the main event rematch which ended the feud.|