Distrito Federal Box Y Lucha Commission
The Distrito Federal Box Y Lucha Commission is the leading regulating group of lucha libre in the country. Each state has it's own commission, and each is able to run it's area as it wants under the national rules, but the Mexico City commission covers the most amount of shows, largest populace, and all of the national championships.
As of August 3, 2010, the commission consists of
- El Fantasma (president)
- Jorge Gomez Garnica
- Felipe Ham Lee
- Horacio Ramirez Mercado
- Gustavo Zavaleta
- Jose Luis Mendieta, better known as Rambo
The commissions are technically responsible to make sure all luchadors and referees are qualified and licensed to be ring, that the promoters are operating properly and that championships matches are within the rules set down (including participants making weight.) In recent years, they've been reduced to collecting a fee from promoters from running the show, collecting a fee for licensing, and being a prop for storylines.
The Mexico City commission is the specific governing body of the Mexican national championships. Those titles include:
- Mexican National Minis Championship
- Mexican National Featherweight Championship
- Mexican National Lightweight Championship
- Mexican National Welterweight Championship
- Mexican National Middleweight Championship
- Mexican National Light Heavyweight Championship
- Mexican National Cruiserweight Championship
- Mexican National Heavyweight Championship
- Mexican National Tag Team Championship
- Mexican National Trios Championship
- Mexican National Atomicos Championship
- Mexican National Women's Championship
- Mexican National Women's Tag Team Championship
The Distrito Federal Box Y Lucha commission also governs the local state championships:
- Distrito Federal Lightweight Championship
- Distrito Federal Welterweight Championship
- Distrito Federal Middleweight Championship
- Distrito Federal Light Heavyweight Championship
- Distrito Federal Heavyweight Championship
- Distrito Federal Tag Team Championship
- Distrito Federal Trios Championship
- Distrito Federal Women's Championship
The championships had scarcely been seen in recent decades, and only then in barely explained small level title tournaments or obscure cameo appearances. The five weight division championships were declared vacant in 2012 and held up in separate title tournaments in April 2012 at Mexico City Fair, over three weekends.
The full list of participants in the tournaments, or the brackets, or anything besides the dates the tournament would be held and the eventually finalists, were never released. It's believed actual tournaments probably took place, including CMLL and independent luchadors, but it's not a certainty.
The shows themselves were promoted by El Signo and the title tournaments were sanctioned personally by El Fantasma. Their sons, Hijo del Signo and Hijo del Fantasma won their tournaments, allowing both to carry championships belts they were unlikely to win in CMLL proper at any time. CMLL has acknowledged the championships, but they have not been defended in CMLL rings.
The DF commission has also controlled and sanctioned championships for Mexico State and other neighboring areas when there is no active local commission.
|Mexican National Championships|
|Men's: Light (Electrico) • Welter (Soberano Jr.)|
Light Heavy (Atlantis) • Heavy (El Terrible)
|Women's: Singles (Princesa Sugehit)|
|Team: Trios (Nuevo Generacion Dinamitas)|
|Defunct: Mini • Feather • Middle • Cruiser • Tag • Atomicos • Women's Tag|